Do I make a sound?

I sometimes wonder about social media. We all have a voice now but is anyone listening? I say my crap, you say your crap. And for what? Self expression? Is this a new thing? Did people always need to be heard? Does anyone hear them now? Does the amount of likes we get or follows validate our thoughts and feelings? I’d like to say not but I can tell you now thats not true. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it fall, does it make a sound? If I tweet some crap and no one likes it, does my tweet really matter?

So many questions. Thoughts please if you’re out there…in the woods…hearing me fall.

You may also like...

61 Responses

1. Excellent post on a topic worth reading about for many

2. charlypriest says:

I have to say, that I started this blog thing 4 years ago. Before that I was homeless, so actually this was kind of a therapy. Kept my mind out of going out and doing not so good things. I really started it to learn more about everything, that is why I follow so many different people. Seems they read me now, I have no idea why though, but it is refreshing to see that some people appreciate what you write, certainly when I was homeless nobody gave a shit. I was that tree that felt in the middle of a bunch of people who all heard it and nobody actually cared.

• Thats awesome writing has been theraputic for you. I think you have to write for yourself, if you try to do it to please others you’ll end up disappointed. Thanks for taking the time to comment 😊

3. Soul Gifts says:

I must say I write for myself, but always in the hopes that it will resonate with others or that they will enjoy it. And it seems to be working 🙂 Thank you so much for the follow. BTW I don’t really do much social media’ring apart from FB – and then very little on that. Interestingly I find I don’t get a lot of crap appearing on mine. My posts go there and sometimes get a lot of views. One last week went through the roof with 415, the highest ever. I can never figure out which ones will do that. This was just a short one about our anniversary! But for some reason there are very few likes, comments or shares. I don’t understand it!

• I can never figure out which posts people are going to like either! Its usually the ones you dont think, and write on a whim. Guess it goes to show you should always write with such reckless abandon. Your writing is a pleasure to read 😊

4. I am listening!
    It is like butterfly effect. Smallest act of defiance can bring about social revelutions.
    So keep hosting the under ground

5. chris jensen says:

Loud an clear….

i also see that you dropped by for a read,
    methanks!

chris

6. Interestingly put. It’s very true, nowadays there are multiple outlets and platforms to voice our opinions but when there are so many it is hard to know what is really being absorbed or passed up and liked for the sake of liking.

7. E says:

I believe everything we put out into the world has some kind of effect. I agree with Soul Gifts about the desire to have what we write resonate for someone; that’s been the best part of blogging for me-feeling like one person heard you. So, thanks for the follow and I hear you! 😉

8. Marts says:

As a geographer and writer with few opportunities available, the blog is a great way to share and hear from other people…

9. Good question. I started my blog so I can get into the habit of writing regularly. I’m such an avid reader, I never gave time to writing. So, one day, after I finished writing a book (call it a pamphlet because it is not thick), I thought I’d publish it. Silly me, I knew better but as a dreamer . . . blah blah, I’m already sleepy going on. To shorten the story, I ended up starting a blog with the thought of talking about this booklet. Haha. Little did I know I started writing all other kinds of things and now the booklet is wallowing on my desk. My sound bites got the better of me . . .

• I’m a dreamer too 😊 I think its better than the alternative though. I think as long as your writing serves your purpose you’re good. I started my blog to finally write about what I wanted to, I’d written a few before and written what I thought others wanted to read. Now I just write for me and if others can relate its a bonus.

10. -Eugenia says:

Excellent points made and well written post. Thank you for following BrewNSpew.

11. Ruth says:

When I do social media for projects, organisations and campaigns it is all about getting people engaged, getting them to do certain things and sometimes about numbers.

When I blog on my own blog (haven’t in ages) or Instagram, it’s for me, a kind of diary or projects etc. I wrote a blog series about advert inspirers, 1 person or group of people who inspired me every day of lent (and most days I was late), and I did it for me, a few got shared more widely – I tweeted them out and shared with person featured if appropriate and shared my project on facebook, but it was mostly about accountability, most posts got just 10 or 20 views and that doesn’t mean they read them, but a friend of my family read them everyday (not to please me, but because she was interested) and if just a 1 person is finding my thing interesting that’s great – isn’t that what letters are all about!? I don’t really plan my personal blog or have a posting schedule, but I could do, I know how to do these things, and do them for organisations etc but I choose not to do on my own.

I also like to use medium.com and facebook when I want to reach a wider/ targetted audience and have joined focused facebook groups about things that interest me where the discussions are amazing! I love Twitter for conversations, not so much for shouting into the ether, I like to tell organsiations to join twitter and listen and engage, don’t schedule posts and run away, there is no point. I have learned and continue to learn so much from twitter and have used it to participate or interact with events that I am not at as well as live tweet from events and interact with people there and not there.

12. Ironically, a few nights ago, when I couldn’t sleep, I tried to solve the “if a tree falls in the forest” riddle. Just when I felt sure of the answer, more questions arose! Like now, reading your post! Thanks for the follow and back at’cha. 🙂

13. osarobohenry says:

Thank you so much for the follow. God bless you.

14. Blog post coming!!! Love reading blogs….I’m screaming ….I feel the same way!

15. 76sanfermo says:

Five years ago , a friend posted something about me, people started to comment and so I became part of the blogosphere….

Now I only post photography , practically , and it’s incredible how people can communicate through images…..

Adore this interactive game , made friends whom I really love , and blogging has become a very important part of my life!

Now I have recovered, but when I fell seriously ill , this helped me a great lot to spend my time , with nothing else I could do from my bed…
    Had the opportunity to meet some cobloggers ,from Spain and Netherland , in Milan , and hope to meet much more in the future…
    I’ll never feel alone as long as I can interact with people from all over the world!

16. I write for myself as well, and if anyone can relate and likes it that is even better. I hope I can even make some friends in the process. I think it’s amazing that I can connect with someone on the other side of the world.

17. On my blog, I write mostly light-hearted lies fiction, rhymes and limericks, and publish photographs, for the sheer pleasure of doing it. A small number of folk seem to like what I do and that is fabulous, and I think of them as friends. But like the tree in the forest, I’m gonna fall anyway.
    To my mind, Facebook and Twitter carry too much negativity, too much triteness and too many adverts for me to invest much of my time in them.

18. Ann Coleman says:

Talking has always been easier than listening, but the advent of social media means everyone is talking, all the time. Sadly, there has been no increase in listening.

19. C. C. Cedras says:

This post really resonates with me — most of us will have felt this at one time or another in our lives. Thank you for stopping by Stilettos, Stoli and Scribbles, and for following. We tackle so many different topics there. Some silly, some painful. And, of course, there’s always some fiction happening. Take care and we’ll see you again soon!

20. I think it matters. If you’ve written something you are proud of you’ve achieved something – other people’s approval is a bonus. I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve though; if you are writing to make money or gain influence you need people to take notice, if you are writing for creativity and self expression I guess you don’t. It also depends on who is giving you validation, not all approval is created equal.

I write a monthly newsletter for my work. It goes out to about 50,000 customers. I’ve sent it every month of 3 years. Last month a random woman sent a reply saying ‘thank you for the newsletter, lots of interesting stuff and so nicely written – thanks!’ I kept the email…so don’t listen to me when I preach that approval doesn’t really matter!

Zoe

21. Anne Sandler says:

Thanks for visiting and following my blog. When I had my business, I wrote marketing text and feature articles. With the arrival of social media marketing, I found I just didn’t enjoy writing. At my senior age, I found it difficult to keep up with the latest SEO requirements. Once I retired, I began photography and found it was another way for self expression. Many photographers can shoot the same image, but each will have a different interpretation, resulting in a different look. Beyond that, the person looking at the picture will interpret it with their own emotional vision. I thought I was through with writing, but after starting my blog, it took about 6 months for me to realize that my writing was lazy. My photography blog actually brought me back to writing.

Also through the blog, I met a photographer in Australia, wrote for her online magazine, and shot with her when she visited the U.S. This week I’m going to visit another photographer in Atlanta Georgia while visiting my family. I’ve received comments about how a certain photo affected someone. It fills my heart to know that my image brought back a memory for someone.

So, yes, you are heard. More, you can leave a lasting impression and make a difference.

22. I like your questions. Though I did wonder at first (a few years ago when I started my blog) “how many people” might come to see how neat and smart I was, I never really expected too much. By now — especially since I don’t seem to have the inclination to promote my blog — I have come to see it more as a digital, visual-textual journal that is primarily for my own satisfaction. Why does any “artist” want to share publicly? One reason is surely the desire to bring something of value to other people’s lives. If that happens now and again as a result of my blog posts, I’m happy — but I don’t chase it. Thanks for raising the issue.

23. One can ask the same around anything we choose to do. If we do it for the sole purpose of gaining likes than we are not being true to our hearts, there is an ulterior motive. When we create to create because it sings our heart, than the “likes” will show up, but from a truer perspective.

When I write, my intention is to serve, to provide some insight from my lens. I know, it will land with who is ment to find it. If no one finds it, it also serves as it has allowed me to be my heart. 🙂

24. lghiggins says:

Since I started blogging, I have wrestled with this concept as well. I also wrestle with the time it takes to actually read all of the new blog posts, respond to them, and write my own posts as well–especially since a lot of my posts require the reading of a book first. As an example, I see someone with 2,000+ followers. I am amazed. Then I see they are getting about 120 likes and 21 comments. I guess it is a common problem. I do occasionally have real interactions with readers and writers of blogs, but I continue to wonder about the depth of social media.

25. love the post but especially the photo of the little girl – priceless. i do photos and like words you put it out there and see where in the universe they are heard and seen. It is also surprising people that tell me they “like” my posts but don’t “follow” me or push a “like” button. We might be heard more far and wide than we realize.

26. Views Smeuuuzze. Your sound happens because you hear it. All others are just frosting!
    ~~dru~~

27. Good post. Nothing like the sounds of the forest to connect us all.

28. Maybe it’s kind of like the paper diaries people used to write. [Do they still?] You write because you have something you want to say. The words are just getting to a wider audience sooner than they might have in the paper version, which I guess would have been many years in the future. Well, and likes and comments. those are a whole other thing indeed. You could always turn them off and just be another voice out there on the internet, never knowing if anyone is reading. I wonder if diarists wrote for themselves. Is what they wrote shaped by the idea that eventually someone would read those thoughts? Would you write exactly the same thing if you knew nobody would ever read it?

29. I use social media for all sorts, mainly to raise attention to things. Good thoughts here as I know that sometimes it’s the way we write that makes impact or what we write depending on our friend Base. For example. I posted 2 photos last week, 35 out of 50 people liked a cat over a bucket of lavender 😅

30. Dustytoes says:

I dislike FB and only go there because I have a store page. It seems to be a lot of people saying “hey, look what I have” “look where I went” brag brag… I’m not interested.

31. beetleypete says:

Thanks for following my blog, which is much appreciated.
    I used to think all kinds of things about blogging (less so about Twitter, and I don’t ‘do’ Facebook) but worry about those less and less, the longer I blog. I have never thought that anyone was out there waiting to read what I had to say. Despite that, it is possible to form a real community, and to also make genuine friends that you may never meet.
    Best wishes, Pete.

32. I heard your tree fall.

33. quiall says:

I like the way your mind thinks. Thanks for following my blog.

34. Rasma R says:

In my opinion I picture that tree at the beginning when someone yells timber then the tree starts falling but that falling process I would call the start of blogging once the tree has made its splash and connected with the ground is the time when we realize if you are going to make it in the social whirl on Internet or not. I feel I am one of those who patiently waited to be discovered. I have four blogs three on WordPress and one on Blogger. I am happy to say that finally I was discovered and as a felled tree people have found they can use my logs to fuel thoughts over the net which makes me very happy. At one time I too was wondering if anyone would hear or care and I am glad I have been found so I always attempt to find others.

35. I’m so glad that you have written this post.
    The fact that some people till this day judge people by the number of likes the picture gets or by the number of retweets really bums me off.

%d bloggers like this: